The Student News Site of School of the Holy Child

The Cornelian

Teacher Biography

Charlotte Brosnan, Staff Writer

Where did Mr. Diefenbach grow up and go to school?

He was born in Los Angeles but moved to New York at the age of 10 along with his older sister and four younger brothers. He went to Saints John and Paul in Larchmont for grades 5-8 and attended Iona Prep for one year and transferred to Archbishop Stepinac High School for his sophomore through senior years.

Where did he go for college and what did he study?

Mr. Diefenbach attended Catholic University of America on a scholarship, where he studied politics. His love for politics stemmed from his grandfather. His grandfather, Edward Egan, ran for Congress in 1956. Mr. Diefenbach majored in constitutional law.

What was his favorite class in college?

He enjoyed Acting Method 1 because of his teacher. She said she would judge you on how well you failed. Mr. Diefenbach said this taught him to take risks and never play it safe. This helped him achieve everything he has ever worked for.

What was some of your work experiences in and out of college?

During college, he interned for senators in Illinois and California, and he was also an intern in the White House during Reagan’s Presidency. After college, Mr. Diefenbach was offered a job as an intern to work for a CBS affiliate. He worked for the Democratic National Convention in San Francisco that nominated Walter Mondale. He was then hired by ABC News to work on the Special Events Unit. Here, he worked on stories including, Hurricane Hugo, the turnover towards democracy in Eastern Europe, and the Democratic and Republican National Conventions. He was hired at CBS News in New York to cover the foreign desk and the Persian Gulf War, and he then landed in Los Angeles, working as Deputy Bureau Chief during the O.J. Simpson Criminal trial. After dedicating eight years at CBS News, he went to FOX. He was in charge of establishing the news desk. After three years, he was promoted to be the senior producer on tape and graphics for events like 9/11, and the Afghanistan and Iraq Wars. After eight years, he returned to ABC News and worked for Nightline.

Mr. Diefenbach then started his own documentary business. He made a couple of documentaries exploring healthcare and India. In India, he covered the work non-government organizations were doing for an orphanage that rescued children from the Himalayas who were malnourished. He also covered a story on nuns who were building women empowerment centers all over India for abused women in rural India and their children.

He won 18 ‘Big W’ Awards from the Advertising Club of Westchester. Mr. Diefenbach’s documentary company was involved in producing the Bronx River Walk Audio Tour which one a gold award.

How did Mr. Diefenbach transition into teaching?

While doing his documentaries, he was also teaching a journalism course at PACE University. He enjoyed it so much that he decided to get his Masters in teaching from the Rossier School of Education at the University of Southern California. He also earned his New York State certification in English Language Arts and Social Studies. He hopes to get his full certification in special education to help students with learning disabilities.

What is Mr. Diefenbach doing now?

He lives in Chappaqua with his wife and son, Michael, who is in 7th grade. After being a leave replacement at Bronxville, Byram Hills, and Rye, he has finally found his home at Holy Child. He loves teaching in a great community with amazing students and faculty.

• Teacher Biography

Interviews

Teacher Biography: Satish Joshi

• Entertainment

Cappella Nova and Madrigals Spring Concert

• Teacher Biography

News

Yulin Dog Festival

• Teacher Biography

Sports

Lacrosse Around the World and the Haberdashers

• Student Life

SHC Ring Day 2017 Recap Video

• Trips

OWN IT Experience

• Teacher Biography

Interviews

Teacher Biography: Mrs. Vasquez

• Teacher Biography

Recipes

Avocado Toast Recipe

• Teacher Biography

Entertainment

Classical Ballet Meets Urban Streets

• Uncategorized

Annie Ryan, Media Manager